Skip to main content


NEXT MATCH: Durham Cricket vs Sussex Sharks

Sussex's bowling attack stars as Hampshire warm-up ends in draw

Sussex's bowling attack starred against Hampshire on day two as the warm-up match against their local rivals ended in a draw.

After Harry Finch and Ben Brown impressed with the bat on the opening day, Sussex declared on 102-3 overnight and allowed Hampshire a chance to bat in far kinder conditions than 24 hours earlier. 

Felix Organ and Joe Weatherley opened for the visiting side, but the former was soon dismissed when Ollie Robinson - back from England duty - had him caught in the covers by Delray Rawlins for eight. 

Weatherley was joined at the crease by Ollie Soames, but he was quickly looking for another partner when Mitchell Claydon had Soames caught by Tom Clark in the deep for one to claim his first wicket in a Sussex shirt. 

Despite the wickets falling around him, Weatherley looked in fine form, and found an accomplice in captain, Sam Northeast. 

The duo put on a partnership of 81 for the fourth wicket and Hampshire were looking comfortable as they reached lunch on 108-2, but following the interval, the visitors collapsed amidst some impressive Sussex bowling. 

Robinson began the onslaught when he had Northeast caught behind by Brown for 37, before George Garton and Henry Crocombe dismissed Tom Alsop and Ian Holland respectively. 

Finch then took a stunning reflex catch at second slip to bid farewell to James Fuller and give Claydon his second of the match, and the former Kent man had his third in Sussex colours when Scott Currie was caught by Rawlins. 

In between Claydon's second and third wicket, young Crocombe claimed a second dismissal with Keith Barker caught by a combination of Brown and Garton behind the stumps. 

Stuart Meaker was the next seamer to get in on the act, trapping Mason Crane LBW for 11 to give the 31-year-old his first wicket in Hove, before Jack Carson got the final wicket of the innings to dismiss Hampshire for 150. 

Sussex came back into bat after a short interval, with Finch and Brown opening the second innings after their encouraging showing during the opening innings. 

The pair both passed fifty runs for the match before retiring not out at tea to provide their teammates with some essential time at the crease, ahead of the Bob Willis Trophy getting underway this Saturday. 

Clark was out for nought, before Garton was caught for four when trying to sweep Crane, but Tom Haines batted well to score 27 off 56 balls and Luke Wells finished unbeaten on 36* after Rawlins was caught smartly in the slips for 14 off the final delivery of the day. 

Ben Brown spoke to BBC Sussex's Adrian Harms following the conclusion of play about the return of cricket, his thoughts on the friendly, how lockdown treated him and more: 

Highlights of day two can be watched here:

Latest News

Squad named for RL50 games against Durham and Somerset

Sussex Sharks have once again named an unchanged squad for the next two games in our Royal London Cup campaign.

Read more

Vacancy: Two Independent Non-Executive Directors

The Directors of Sussex Cricket Limited (SCL) are seeking to appoint up to two independent Non-Executive Directors to join its Board.

Read more

Sharks beat Surrey comprehensively at Hove

Sussex took another step forward in their Royal London Cup campaign, beating Surrey by 216 runs in front of a packed crowd at The 1st Central County Ground. 

Read more