The Sussex Cricket Foundation has a number of SCF Vice-Presidents who generously make charitable donations of £1,000 per annum. The usual period for this status is three years, but many of the VPs have kindly agreed to continue with such annual donations.
In return for their contributions, each SCF Vice-President receives the following benefits:
- Annual Sussex Membership, which allows access to all home matches within the County, with their membership cards being fully transferable;
- Membership of the Sussex Cricket Society and of the Sussex Cricket Museum & Educational Trust;
- Their names being displayed on the SCF Vice-Presidents’ Board in the entrance to the Spen Cama Pavilion at the 1st Central County Ground, Hove;
- A complimentary invitation to the annual pre-season, combined SCF Vice-Presidents’ and Sussex Cricket Vice Presidents’ Dinner at the 1st Central County Ground; and
- A complimentary invitation to the delightful annual Open Day event at the Sussex Cricket Junior Academy Ground at Blackstone, near Henfield, West Sussex.
Some of the SCF Vice-Presidents request that their contributions should be used towards a particular activity of the Foundation (e.g. its “Hardship Fund”), which, of course, is always respected by the Trustees. Others are happy for them to decide how best to utilise their donations, including the following aspects:
- Supporting the elite Sussex Junior County boys and girls squads - including providing the funding to maintain and improve the Blackstone Academy Ground;
- Increasing participation across the board – supporting cricket development in local clubs, and encouraging children, young people, people with disabilities and those from disadvantaged backgrounds to take up and continue to play the game; and
- Using the appeal of cricket to inspire people of all age groups to improve their health – focusing on the benefits of exercise through the Walking Cricket programme for people over the age of 55 years and working with older people experiencing loneliness and dementia through the award-winning Sporting Memories scheme.
One of the pleasures for all the SCF Vice-Presidents is becoming more intimately involved in the Sussex Cricket Family and its wide range of cricket-related activities.
Anyone who wishes to join this selected group is encouraged to contact David Bowden, SCF Patron, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on 01273 555561.
The following are the current 35 SCF Vice-Presidents:
John Abbott CBE
Sir Richard Kleinwort Bt. DL
Sussex Martlets CC